Video SEO basics (How to get your videos noticed online)
What’s all this talk about Video SEO? Fancy some simple ideas to get your videos ranking higher in search results? Time for another Vlog Pod quick tip.
You want your videos to be seen. You want to appear in organic search results and get more views. Okay, so why is video SEO or search engine optimisation for youtube videos still so often overlooked by so many businesses? How often do you see a video with a useless title, no description text at the very least?
In this quick tip I show you my top 5 steps to help your videos get found online. Make sure you do these things, and do them well, and you’re videos will be ranking well in no time.
- Use relevant titles with great keywords or phrases. Think about what your audience would be typing into a search engine and use that in your videos title. Make the title clear and descriptive so that when people click play they know what they are getting.
- Make the most of the description text. Youtube allow a lot of text here, so be sure to at least include a couple of well written paragraphs, relevant to the topic of your video and that makes good use of primary and secondary keywords. Always include a clickable link to your website as the very first thing in your description, along with links to associated articles, social media profiles and so on. Remember to make your links clickable you need to include the full URL including the http
- Tags should always include both keywords and plenty of relevant ‘key phrases’. Use quotation marks around key phrases to further distinguish your video in search results. Ideally you want unique tags so consider using adjectives such as ‘quick’ or ‘easy’ or location tags such as ‘sunshine coast’ or ‘brisbane’ as well as your primary keywords.
- This is one of the least used SEO tips across Youtube. Upload a transcription for closed captions. By uploading a transcription in the advanced section of the videos properties you are effectively making every word that is said in your video searchable by search engines. It’s also a nice thing for your viewers to be able to turn on closed captions when they are viewing your video at work and can’t have the sound turned up.
- Use annotations and in-video program links to create dynamic links to your other video content. By adding annotations or using the in-video programming functions of Youtube you can keep your audience engaged within your network of videos, these dynamic links between videos also are seen by search engines and can have a positive impact on your videos rankings.
So that’s it.. 5 quick tips that everyone should be doing on their youtube videos. Take a moment now and see how many of these can be improved on in your videos.
And then leave me a comment below and let me what you think.